County Executive O’Neil questions Comptroller on Heritage Park audit

POUGHKEEPSIE — Dutchess County Executive William F. X. O’Neil has taken issue with a recent follow-up audit on the Dutchess Stadium that showed sharply rising operational costs.

The audit issued by Comptroller Robin Lois this month reports the subsidy more than doubling from $134,008 in 2017 to $320,325 in 2022 and estimated to be  $422,594 in 2023. 

The Comptroller notes that the Stadium ownership, lease agreements, and naming rights have all changed since the 2020 review. The Stadium name has been sold to Heritage Financial Credit Union in March of 2023 and the Stadium is now called Heritage Financial Park.

The Hudson Valley Renegades, owned previously by the Goldklang Group, were sold to their current owner, DBH Hudson Valley, LLC in December 2021. The lease arrangement between the Renegades and the County has been updated three times between June 2021 and September 2023.

In a prior audit, the Comptroller’s office recommended that the administration negotiate a more equitable lease arrangement in order to protect taxpayer dollars, but noted in the recent audit that this renegotiation did not result in a more favorable outcome for the county. The most recent lease amendment executed in September 2023 for the full year beginning January 2023 and expiring Dec. 31, 2046, still does not ensure revenues cover current operating expenses, including the cost of debt service for Stadium improvements.

“There is no requirement for the stadium to show a profit, or even break-even,” O’Neil responded in a letter to Comptroller Lois, adding that the Legislature approved the new lease terms with bipartisan support and a super-majority vote.  

The Stadium is not managed by the County as a public park. Because it is operated by a for-profit corporation, Comptroller Lois said it “should therefore be held to a different and higher standard for its tolerance of taxpayer funding. Our audit continues to recommend that the administration, as stewards of taxpayer funds, renegotiate a more equitable lease arrangement with the tenant to ensure taxpayers are not subsidizing a for-profit entity.”

Beginning in 2018, the County has committed over $30 million in capital improvements to the Stadium. Current construction of a new home team Clubhouse with a conference/event space and additional premium seating is underway with completion scheduled for use beginning in the 2024 season. This project was funded with a $25 million last minute amendment to the 2023 operating budget by the county Legislature.

In his letter to the Comptroller, O’Neil responded that the community has been “clear that they support the Hudson  Valley Renegades and keeping them in Dutchess County is important.” 

He also noted that the Stadium is home to high school and college football, recreational leagues and youth summer camps along with graduation ceremonies. 

O’Neil said he suspects the timing of the audit opinion, which came in the midst of an election season and pointed to the Stadium’s significant contribution to the local economy through sales tax revenue and employment opportunities. 

“Yet you have chosen to leave them [these facts] out in favor of publishing a politically charged opinion,” he wrote. 

Latest News

Millerton’s 175th committee advances plans for celebration, seeks vendors and sponsors

The Millerton 175th anniversary committee's tent during the village's trunk-or-treat event on Oct. 31, 2025.

Photo provided

MILLERTON — As Millerton officially enters its 175th year, the volunteer committee tasked with planning its milestone celebration is advancing plans and firming up its week-long schedule of events, which will include a large community fair at Eddie Collins Memorial Park and a drone light show. The events will take place this July 11 through 19.

Millerton’s 175th committee chair Lisa Hermann said she is excited for this next phase of planning.

Keep ReadingShow less
Why the focus on Greenland?

As I noted here in an article last spring entitled “Hands off Greenland”, the world’s largest island was at the center of a developing controversy. President Trump was telling all who would listen that, for national security reasons, the United States needed to take over Greenland, amicably if possible or by force if necessary. While many were shocked by Trump’s imperialistic statements, most people, at least in this country, took his words as ill-considered bluster. But he kept telling questioners that he had to have Greenland (oftenechoing the former King of France, Louis XIV who famously said, “L’État c’est moi!”.

Since 1951, the U.S. has had a security agreement with Denmark giving it near total freedom to install and operate whatever military facilities it wanted on Greenland. At one point there were sixteen small bases across the island, now there’s only one. Denmark’s Prime Minister has told President Trump that the U.S. should feel free to expand its installations if needed. As climate change is starting to allow a future passage from thePacific Ocean to the Arctic, many countries are showing interest in Greenland including Russia and China but this hardly indicates an international crisis as Trump and his subordinates insist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Military hardware as a signpost

It is hard not to equate military spending and purchasing with diplomatic or strategic plans being made, for reasons otherwise unknown. Keeping an eye out for the physical stuff can often begin to shine a light on what’s coming – good and possibly very bad.

Without Congressional specific approval, the Pentagon has awarded a contract to Boeing for $8,600,000,000 (US taxpayer dollars) for another 25 F-15A attack fighters to be given to Israel. Oh, and there’s another 25 more of the F-15EX variant on option, free to Israel as well.

Keep ReadingShow less
Truth and evidence depend on the right to observe

A small group of protesters voice opposition to President Trump's administration and Immigration and Customs Enforcement at Amenia's Fountain Square at the intersection of Route 44 and Route 22 on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2025

Photo by Nathan Miller

The fatal shooting of Alex Pretti, and before him Renée Good, by federal agents in Minnesota is not just a tragedy; it is a warning. In the aftermath, Trump administration officials released an account of events that directly contradicted citizen video recorded at the scene. Those recordings, made by ordinary people exercising their rights, showed circumstances sharply at odds with the official narrative. Once again, the public is asked to choose between the administration’s version of events and the evidence of its own eyes.

This moment underscores an essential truth: the right to record law enforcement is not a nuisance or a provocation; it is a safeguard. As New York Times columnist David French put it, “Citizen video has decisively rebutted the administration’s lies. The evidence of our eyes contradicts the dishonesty of the administration’s words.”

Keep ReadingShow less