Thank you!
Your support is sustaining the future of local news in our communities.

Laura S. Wright

LAKEVILLE — Laura S. Wright, 77, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2025, at her home with her devoted dog Huxley by her side. She was the beloved wife of the late David A. Wright.

Laura was born in Sharon on Jan. 21, 1948, daughter of the late Terrence and Armilla (Rossiter) Solan. She grew up in Lakeville and moved to Burlington, Vermont in 1966 to attend the Mary Fletcher School of Nursing.

In 1968, Laura met Dave, and they married in July 1970. Just a month later, the couple moved to Chicago where Laura became the head nurse of the neurosurgery department at the University of Chicago Hospital. After two years, they relocated to Canada where she continued her nursing career.

In 1979, Dave and Laura settled in Lakeville where they would spend the rest of their lives and raise their family. Laura continued her nursing work at Sharon Hospital and also served as a private home nurse. After retiring from nursing, Laura founded and managed her own home-based business called Northwinds Upholstery.

Laura had many talents and if you looked carefully in her home, you’d see that every drape, curtain, comforter, chair and sofa was hand-made or upholstered by her, and every ceiling and wall was painted or wallpapered by her skilled hand. She had an incredible talent for sewing and a knack for crafting and fixing anything in her home. She also enjoyed reading, baking and loved animals. Her children grew up in a household that was always bustling with any assortment of dogs, cats, chickens, horses, and even frogs. In her house there was always a homemade dessert ready to be enjoyed, and a home improvement project in progress. Her endless kindness, nurturing soul, compassionate nature, creative spirit, and homemade meals will be very deeply missed.

Survivors include three children; Jessica Wright (Chris Yerton) of Berlin, New York, Alison Le (Hong Le) of Severna Park, Maryland, and David Wright (Kira Costanza) of Lakeville. She also leaves behind three grandchildren, Michael, Harrison and Augusta; a brother, Terrence Solan (Helen) of Ocala, Florida; two sisters, Maureen Erickson and Natalie Solan, both of Salisbury; and several nieces and nephews. Mrs. Wright was predeceased by two sisters, Christina Teixeira and Theresa Carlson.

Graveside services will be held Friday, Nov. 14, 2025, at 11:00 a.m. at Salisbury Cemetery, Undermountain Rd., Salisbury. Ryan Funeral Home, 255 Main St., Lakeville, is in care of arrangements.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Laura’s honor to 13 Hands Equine Rescue, Inc. (https://13handsequine.org), 50 Tuscan Way, Clinton Corners, NY, 12514.

Latest News

Fire destroys Stanford farm equipment shed, propane tanks explode

Fire crews douse the smoldering remains of an equipment shed at 357 Hunns Lake Road in Stanford after a fire and propane tank explosions destoryed the structure and farm machinery housed inside on Friday, July 17.

Photo by Nathan Miller

STANFORDVILLE — A fire destroyed a farm equipment shed in Stanford Friday, July 17.

Richie Ahlf, who lives at 357 Hunns Lake Road, was alerted to the blaze on his property when a landscaper working nearby noticed smoke and flames and ran into Ahlf's yard.

Keep ReadingShow less
Millerton dressmaker forged path as early businesswoman
Mary Kisselbrack, left, and her husband, George.
Provided

If you’ve driven down Main Street in Millerton, you’ve passed the former home and shop of one of the village’s earliest female entrepreneurs. At a time when most businesses were owned by men, Mary Kisselbrack made a name for herself in the late 1800s as a well-respected milliner and dressmaker.

On April 11, 1891, train conductor George Kisselbrack purchased a 124-by-232-foot vacant lot at 54 Main St. and hired locally renowned builders Beers and Trafford to design what would become their home and Mary’s business.

Keep ReadingShow less
Wastewater project coming to fruition after decades of debate

Millerton’s business community will soon see the completion of a public wastewater system, addressing what local officials and business owners have called a major constraint on commercial development in the community for decades.

The $13.8 million project, which is expected to serve the core of the Village of Millerton and a commercial stretch of the Town of North East along U.S. Route 44, represents one of the largest infrastructure investments in the community in decades, and brings an end to calls for a sewer system that stretch back to World War II. Officials say the system will safeguard local waterways while creating a foundation for long-term economic stability.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Millerton Moviehouse marks 120 years with structural upgrades

Wooden beams made from tree trunks comprise the load-bearing structure under Millerton’s Moviehouse.

Graham Corrigan

There are a handful of buildings that have stood the test of time over Millerton’s 175-year history. But if there’s one that stands out as a singular representation of the town, it’s the Millerton Moviehouse and its iconic clock tower.

Built in 1903 as a grange hall, it was soon converted into a movie theater with a second-floor ballroom. It was one of a handful of buildings that came to define the town in the following decades, standing tall across the street from the Episcopal Church and Millerton Inn, next to Terni’s, and up the hill from Millerton’s train station.

Keep ReadingShow less
Irondale Schoolhouse: a piece of living history

Ralph Fedele sits at a desk in the historic Irondale Schoolhouse, which he led the effort to relocate to downtown Millerton.

Aly Morrissey
“It was in dire straits. Right on the road, but beautiful. I remember thinking, ‘Wouldn’t that be a great building to move into the village?’” —Ralph Fedele

A one-room schoolhouse sits on Main Street along the Harlem Valley Rail Trail, offering an opportunity for locals and visitors to step inside a piece of living history.

The Irondale Schoolhouse that now sits in downtown Millerton was not originally located on Main Street. The building was first constructed in 1858 along what is now Route 22 in the Irondale section of town, defined by Irondale road and the Old Mill that still sits along Webatuck Creek. At the time, the schoolhouse was one of 14 that served the Town of North East’s children.

Keep ReadingShow less
New Water Department building expected by summer’s end

Millerton’s former Water Department building, ravaged by fire, as it awaited demolition in summer 2025.

Aly Morrissey

Nearly 18 months after a fire destroyed Millerton’s Public Works building, which housed the Highway Department and Water Department, construction is expected to begin within weeks on a new Water Department facility and pumphouse.

The new building would restore the village’s full water pumping capacity and allow officials to end the state of emergency declared after the fire. Village officials are also planning a separate Highway garage, with details of that project still being finalized.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.