Thank you!
Your support is sustaining the future of local news in our communities.

What’s in a name? Millbrook street name origins

What’s in a name? Millbrook street name origins
Ashley Lempka led a program about the names of the streets in the Village of Millbrook, held on the Millbrook Library porch on Saturday, July 15, hosted by the Millbrook Historical Society. 
Photo by Judith O’Hara Balfe

MILLBROOK —  The Millbrook Historical Society (MHS) presented a program on how Millbrook streets got their names on Saturday, July 15, led by Ashley Lempka on the porch of the Millbrook Library.

Much of the research was discovered through the archives of the Millbrook Round Table, a former local newspaper, and some discussion came from the 20-member audience and MHS members.

There was shade but, with the thermometer reaching close to 90 degrees, not much respite from the heat. Lempka had pictures mounted on a posterboard of signs, houses, churches and other memorabilia. Robert McHugh, president of MHS, had a notebook filled with pictures and copies of correspondence, deeds and other mementos from the past.

Many street names are self-explanatory; Main Street is usually the main thoroughfare in a village or town. There are many reasons to bestow names on places, including naming them after presidents. Washington Avenue “we assume this was named because we are in the Town of Washington,” said Lempka, and Washington passed through it once, so that is how the town got its name.

Millbrook has the distinction of having been laid out by Franklin Merritt between the years of 1865 and 1869. At the time, it was state of the art, so he may have felt perfectly justified in naming the two main streets after himself: Franklin Avenue and Merritt Avenue.

The Millbrook Library now stands on what was originally the Isaac Haight Farm. Merritt bought the farm in 1869, a smart move because he knew that the railroad would be coming through the area. It was spearheaded by George Hunter Brown, a New York banker who moved here for health reasons, to a farm called Millbrook Farms. There you have the origin of the name Millbrook, although it wasn’t incorporated as a village until 1895. Farmer Haight has a street named after him as well, right off Maple Avenue: Haight Avenue.

Millbrook Library is located on Friendly Lane. Why “Friendly”? Because, at one time, the lane was home to the Friends Quaker Meeting House. It was later razed and the spot it stood on is now the library parking lot.

“Pilgrim Lane,” said Lempka, “we don’t have a lot of information on this alley. However, we can assume that the name either came from being next to the Friends Meeting House, as a pilgrim is a traveler who is on a journey to a holy place, or perhaps some of the developers or residents were descendants of the original Pilgrim settlers, and named it as a tribute to them.” She added that this is conjecture, and there is no historical data to support it. It is known that it was where the barns that housed the horses and carriages from Maple and Franklin avenues stood.

Some streets are named after the trees that are prevalent along them, thus Maple Avenue is named after the maples that grow there. Elm Drive was named around 1898 for similar reasons, but Dutch Elm Disease took many of those trees down in the 1930s.

Weatherford Lane was suggested by Peter Devers when George Whalen asked local realtors for suggestions for a new street off Haight Avenue. Col. John Weatherford was the master of foxhounds of the “Millbeck Hounds.”

There are no churches on Church Street. but once upon a time there were two churches on the street: a Methodist church, which is now a residence, and an Episcopal church that stood where the parking lot is across from Nooche’s Pub. It was torn down.

The railroad came to Millbrook and many businesses and warehouses were located on the street in front of the tracks, therefore, North Front Street and South Front Street, but later just Front Street.

Front Street becomes Hart’s Village Road as you pass Merritt Bookstore. Philip Hart was an industrialist, the most prosperous mill owner, and that area was named for him. Many of the mills are still standing, as is Hart’s house, built in 1800. The home is now owned by town historian David Greenwood and his wife, Nan. Hart also built the large house across the street for his family. Now the Blythewood Bed and Breakfast, it is also home to McHugh and his family.

As towns built up around the budding railroads, destinations often became names, such as Sharon Turnpike and Stanford Road,

There is no reservoir on Reservoir Drive, which began life as Reservoir Avenue, but there is a small pond in the woods behind it.

Immigrants made their contribution to naming the streets. Stated Lempka, “As many of you probably know, Alden Place was originally the home to many Irish and then Italian immigrants. In 1890 two lots of land were sold to a Marie Weed Alden, hence the name Alden Place. Alden Place was also referred to as Hogan’s Alley. A widow by the name of Mary Hogan and her family lived on the Street as well, owning three lots. However, the name most likely came from what was a new cartoon in the papers, ‘Hogan’s Alley,’ which was one of many ethnic cartoons that appeared at that time.”

The other large immigrant population that came to Millbrook and became much of its heart and soul were the Italians, and many streets are named after those early families, such as Ciferri Drive, Manzi Drive and Velletri Way.

North Avenue was actually Shaws Street, named for Henry Shaw who offered livery and boarding stable services on the street. In 1892 it was renamed on a Sanborn map. The street runs north, so it became North Avenue.

Latest News

Benjamin Franklin’s glass armonica comes to the Berkshire Opera Festival

Dennis James plays the glass armonica in Colonial costume.

Dennis James

In the early 1760s, Benjamin Franklin was one of the most popular people in the world. The writer, printer, inventor and electricity pioneer was known throughout the British Colonies in America, as well as in Europe, as a respected intellectual and diplomat. While we know him as one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, he spent almost a third of his life in Europe. Eight of those years were spent in France, working to secure support from the French military during the Revolutionary War. But before that, he spent 18 years in England as a diplomatic representative from the colonies.

It was during that time when Franklin first witnessed a musician play a series of glass bowls by wetting his fingers and drawing them across the bowls’ rims. The sound was haunting and otherworldly — like nothing he, nor anyone else, had ever heard before. But as Franklin was transfixed by the sound, he saw what many great innovators see when witnessing something new: inefficiencies. The musician was moving all over the place, working far too hard to make these angelic sounds. So Franklin went about fixing the problem.

Keep ReadingShow less
More than movies: Jeremy Boviard found his calling at The Moviehouse

Jeremy Boviard, General Manager at the Moviehouse in Millerton.

Annette Stover
There’s something special about sharing a story in a room full of other people.
— Jeremy Boviard

Spend a few minutes talking with Jeremy Boviard about movies and you’re likely to forget what time it is.

Ask about a favorite film and he’ll happily explain the first time he saw it, how it was made and why it matters. One story leads to another. His enthusiasm is infectious. For Boviard, movies are far more than entertainment – they’re one of the best ways people connect.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

The mycelial web of nature, creativity, science and magic at Berkshire Mushroom Festival

Presenters at the 2025 Berkshire Mushroom Festival.

Daniel Shankin

“Mycelium is Earth’s natural Internet,” says mycologist Paul Stamets. He also calls fungi “the grand recyclers of the planet” and says, “Fungi are the interface organisms between life and death.”

If that sounds like a pretty good argument for paying more attention to what’s happening under your feet, the Berkshire Mushroom Festival is hosting a weekend made for you.

Keep ReadingShow less
From grave to stage: “Zombie Prom” lights up the Sharon Playhouse

(From L to R) Jakob Kerr-Lucero (Jake), Charlotte Wise (Candy), Richie Crane (Joey), Brianna Vivace (Coco), and Vivian Burnham (Stage Manager) in rehearsal for Sharon Playhouse’s “Zombie Prom.”

Michael Kevin Baldwin

Jonny is dead. He’s also still dating Toffee. And he has every intention of making it to the prom.

That’s the basic problem at the heart of “Zombie Prom,” the gloriously campy musical comedy coming to the Sharon Playhouse Aug. 21-23.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.