Millbrook concludes public hearing on restaurant building

MILLBROOK — Continuation of a public hearing on the use of a restaurant building as a restaurant was the single agenda item at a special meeting of the Planning Board on Monday, Aug. 26. Following discussion, the Planning Board agreed to prepare a resolution to be considered and likely voted upon at its next regular meeting on Monday, Sept. 9.

Building owner Nunzio Incorvaia, who had successfully operated the Alden Place Drive restaurant for 30 years, attended the meeting, along with new tenant, Alberto Quezada, who plans to operate his Hispanic-American restaurant with a new name, Millbrook Continental.

The hearing had been opened on Monday, Aug. 12, but was continued for two weeks to give residents more time and additional notice of the hearing. As it turned out, no additional residents attended the extended hearing to offer comments and the listing of concerns remained the same.

Of concern to the two neighboring residents who reiterated the listing were noise, smoke from any permitted smoking area, garbage pick-up and especially hours of operation. Most of the concern stemmed from restaurant operations under a previous tenant after Incorvaia had operated his restaurant at the location. The building has been vacant for the past year.

During brief remarks defining his vision for his new restaurant, tenant Quezada said that he hoped for permission to be open seven days a week between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9:30 p.m., but there were no plans for outdoor dining on the patio that could hold 3 tables and 9 chairs. Incorvaia confirmed that there were no plans to use the patio.

“When I was operating the restaurant, there was not a single complaint,” Incorvaia emphasized in addressing the issues raised, and in particular the schedule for trash removal from the enclosed trash area, agreed by all to be the only viable location for storage and pick-up.

During discussion of hours of operation, in view of neighbors’ concerns, board opinion leaned toward lunch and dinner service only, eliminating breakfast hours. The approved hours might be 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

“We need to keep in mind that it’s a residential area,” Planning Board chairman Frank Redl said.

Latest News

Millerton’s 175th committee advances plans for celebration, seeks vendors and sponsors

The Millerton 175th anniversary committee's tent during the village's trunk-or-treat event on Oct. 31, 2025.

Photo provided

MILLERTON — As Millerton officially enters its 175th year, the volunteer committee tasked with planning its milestone celebration is advancing plans and firming up its week-long schedule of events, which will include a large community fair at Eddie Collins Memorial Park and a drone light show. The events will take place this July 11 through 19.

Millerton’s 175th committee chair Lisa Hermann said she is excited for this next phase of planning.

Keep ReadingShow less
Why the focus on Greenland?

As I noted here in an article last spring entitled “Hands off Greenland”, the world’s largest island was at the center of a developing controversy. President Trump was telling all who would listen that, for national security reasons, the United States needed to take over Greenland, amicably if possible or by force if necessary. While many were shocked by Trump’s imperialistic statements, most people, at least in this country, took his words as ill-considered bluster. But he kept telling questioners that he had to have Greenland (oftenechoing the former King of France, Louis XIV who famously said, “L’État c’est moi!”.

Since 1951, the U.S. has had a security agreement with Denmark giving it near total freedom to install and operate whatever military facilities it wanted on Greenland. At one point there were sixteen small bases across the island, now there’s only one. Denmark’s Prime Minister has told President Trump that the U.S. should feel free to expand its installations if needed. As climate change is starting to allow a future passage from thePacific Ocean to the Arctic, many countries are showing interest in Greenland including Russia and China but this hardly indicates an international crisis as Trump and his subordinates insist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Military hardware as a signpost

It is hard not to equate military spending and purchasing with diplomatic or strategic plans being made, for reasons otherwise unknown. Keeping an eye out for the physical stuff can often begin to shine a light on what’s coming – good and possibly very bad.

Without Congressional specific approval, the Pentagon has awarded a contract to Boeing for $8,600,000,000 (US taxpayer dollars) for another 25 F-15A attack fighters to be given to Israel. Oh, and there’s another 25 more of the F-15EX variant on option, free to Israel as well.

Keep ReadingShow less
Truth and evidence depend on the right to observe

A small group of protesters voice opposition to President Trump's administration and Immigration and Customs Enforcement at Amenia's Fountain Square at the intersection of Route 44 and Route 22 on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2025

Photo by Nathan Miller

The fatal shooting of Alex Pretti, and before him Renée Good, by federal agents in Minnesota is not just a tragedy; it is a warning. In the aftermath, Trump administration officials released an account of events that directly contradicted citizen video recorded at the scene. Those recordings, made by ordinary people exercising their rights, showed circumstances sharply at odds with the official narrative. Once again, the public is asked to choose between the administration’s version of events and the evidence of its own eyes.

This moment underscores an essential truth: the right to record law enforcement is not a nuisance or a provocation; it is a safeguard. As New York Times columnist David French put it, “Citizen video has decisively rebutted the administration’s lies. The evidence of our eyes contradicts the dishonesty of the administration’s words.”

Keep ReadingShow less