Millbrook High School cancels football season

MILLBROOK — Most people know what it’s like to have had their dreams deferred, probably this year more than ever before thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic. Weddings have been postponed or canceled, graduation plans have been altered, vacations nixed, and in high schools across the country, sports seasons axed. 

That means not only no games, but no breaking records, no victory parties, no trophies, no team pictures, no high fives, no chances of being scouted by colleges, no memories.

The Millbrook High School Blazers will not have a football season this year; it was supposed to begin in March. Because of the pandemic, the winter season was changed to follow the spring season, but it wasn’t because of COVID-19 directly, according to administrators, it was because of low school enrollment numbers and the low enrollment of qualified players needed to make up the eight-man team.

Jason Moore, the parent of a student who played football last year, shared his concerns over the canceled season with The Millerton News earlier this month. He called it “absurd” when he felt the team had played under similar conditions in past years. He shared a notice that had been sent out by High School Principal Eric Seipp via email.

“Due to low participation and the inexperience of some of the players on the roster, we can’t guarantee their safety as many players would be playing on both sides of the ball, some out of position, and others for the entire game,” stated the communication.

Seipp, though, said he was offended by the accusation that the Millbrook Central School District (MCSD) “stole” the season from the young athletes, as Moore charged. 

When contacted, he said Athletic Director Al Hammell was in touch with the football coach about the low numbers and was also in touch with the players and their families. The deadline was extended, but when no other players registered, the e-mail was sent out about the decision.

The season was originally canceled last fall by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association. The altered seasons were created  with the support from the MCSD Board of Education (BOE); the plan was to start the  abbreviated football season on March 1. 

“We were unable to start our season as scheduled due to our positive COVID-19 cases,” said Seipp, who added the recent COVID outbreak in the district was not a factor in the decision. He noted the BOE supported a request to allow the Fall II season to begin on the Monday when the students returned to school.

Moore said that a letter was sent to the BOE on Sunday, March 14, along with other e-mails and calls, signed by as many as 18 parents, but no reply was forthcoming. He had hoped that enough signatures would cause a reversal of what he calls “a terrible” decision. 

Superintendent Laura Mitchell, who did not return calls for an interview, reportedly said the decision was not made by the BOE. 

Moore said his son, James, is now a senior at Millbrook High School. James has been playing football since his early Pop Warner days. He said James is a valuable player, and had hoped to end his high school playing career on a high note, and possibly play in college. 

Other school personnel did not comment, including Hammell, who said all queries regarding the issue were to be directed to Seipp.

Moore asked if the coaches are willing to coach, why can’t the students at least practice and get ready for next year? He wondered if taking away football removes the incentive for athletes to study and get good grades.

In defending the decision to cancel the season, Seipp said, “For a perspective and comparison to our eight-man football team last fall, we had 28 student athletes registered and we were unable to complete our final crossover game due to the injuries and concussions… while it was reported that 18 players registered to play, however, this does not mean that 18 players are available for reasons I will not disclose due to privacy. So in fact, that number is not accurate.”

Last year the district also lacked a full roster. Moore’s son, James, commented after a game on Sept. 13, that “at the beginning of the year, when we got the news, it was a little discouraging.” 

Moore said the players were disappointed to learn the team would join Section IX’s reduced-player football league, as eight other small-town programs in the section had done the previous year. 

“But once we started practicing, I started to realize it’s not that different. It’s still football,” said James. 

After that September game, which was a memorable victory, senior Michael Tipping said of the atmosphere, “It’s unbelievable… I love this school. The culture, especially around football, is amazing. This is a football town, for sure. I’m glad Millbrook football is back.”

It doesn’t seem that anyone is happy with the decision, not the students, not the parents, and not even Seipp.

“Student safety always comes first, and in this case, this applies. I am devastated for our kids. It is unfortunate for our football players, especially our seniors.” 

He added, per lower enrollment figures and eligible players, “We look forward to our efforts of merging with another school in the fall in the hope to have our kids back on the football field playing the game that they love.”

That other school could be Webutuck High School in Amenia, as there have been discussions between the two districts to merge the football programs.

For now, however, there will be no Friday night lights at the Millbrook football field in the immediate future.

Here are group photos taken of the 2019-20 Millbrook High School Blazers football team, showing players excited to be on the field. This season, players say their dreams have been canceled, along with the 2020-21 football season. Photo courtesy Jason Moore

Photo courtesy Jason Moore

Here are group photos taken of the 2019-20 Millbrook High School Blazers football team, showing players excited to be on the field. This season, players say their dreams have been canceled, along with the 2020-21 football season. Photo courtesy Jason Moore

Latest News

Open Studios by Upstate Art Weekend invites visitors inside 240 workspaces

“Untitled” by Christine Domanic, one of the 37 artists featured in “Earthen Plot,” opening Friday, May 15.

Provided

Art lovers will have an opportunity to step inside working artist’s studios across the region next weekend as Open Studios by Upstate Art Weekend returns Saturday, May 16, and Sunday, May 17, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The annual event invites the public into the creative spaces of 240 artists throughout the Hudson Valley and Catskills, offering an intimate look at artistic practices across disciplines while fostering direct connections between artists and visitors.

Keep ReadingShow less
Trash or treasure? Choose your groundcover with care
Violets, a keystone groundcover, under a magnolia tree.
Dee Salomon

This brief period in the spring, before the mosquitoes and poison ivy proliferate, is irresistible to me. I want to do everything all at once: plant, remove invasives, examine what is coming into leaf and tend to plants that need protection, whether from deer or downy mildew.

Amid the nonstop gardening work, I recently made time to join a tour of two nearby gardens. Each had a fascinating history, and we looked at photos to see how much had changed and what was still there and flourishing, including a stand of large yellowroot with delicate brown-and-yellow flowers that look like a cross between an orchid and a lilac. It has been there for decades, a lesson in successful gardening with native plants.

Keep ReadingShow less

Dahlia Daze

Dahlia Daze
Provided

Dahlia Daze is a multi-farm dahlia tuber festival and seedling sale featuring local growers, rare varieties, and plant starts, plus a Dahlia Talk on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Foxtrot Farm & Flowers, 6862 NY-82, Stanfordville. Reservations required at foxtrotfarmflowers.com

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Classifieds - May 14, 2026

Classifieds - May 14, 2026

Help Wanted

PART-TIME CARE-GIVER NEEDED: Possibly LIVE-IN. Bright private STUDIO on 10 acres. Queen Bed, En-Suite Bathroom, Kitchenette & Garage SHARON 407-620-7777.

SUMMER OFFICE HELP NEEDED: PC and social media skills for local bookstore. Contact by text 860-671-9197.

Keep ReadingShow less
Beekman Park sidewalk project stalled after DOT halts work

Orange safety cones mark off the incomplete sections of sidewalk along Route 44 in Amenia near the entrance of Beekman Park. Town officials say multiple mistakes and poor communication with contractor Southern Industries Corporation caused delays and a stop-work order from the state Department of Transportation.

Photo By Nathan Miller

AMENIA — Work on the new sidewalk along Route 44 near Beekman Park has stalled after the New York State Department of Transportation issued a stop-order in January over safety concerns.

Amenia Town Supervisor Rosanna Hamm first disclosed the stoppage at an April 1 Town Board meeting. She said the matter is being handled by the town’s attorney, and it’s still unclear what the next steps will be, but she holds out hope that the work will resume soon.

Keep ReadingShow less
Millbrook local leads tech startups from solar-powered farmhouse

John Merryman stands in front of a ground-mounted solar panel array that supplies electricity to his home in Millbrook.

Photo by Graham Corrigan

MILLBROOK — Technology and tradition are often at odds. But on John Merryman’s Millbrook property, they have coalesced. Familiar sights remain: The knees of his jeans are spattered with mud after a morning planting grass seed. The tires of his solar-powered farm cart are similarly smudged. It’s just another day tending to the various needs of Merryfield Farm, Merryman’s Millbrook horse farm.

Merryman purchased the property in 2022, seeking to turn aging stables into a haven for his passions. Since then, he’s turned the property into a home for his tech business and his horses.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.