Brier Hill Cemetery: No longer forgotten

MILLBROOK — In today’s world, the concept of a poor house, a place where indigent people were once housed when they had no place else to go, seems foreign. Yet this practice remained a part of everyday life well into the 20th  century.

There was just such a poorhouse located in the town of Washington. The county poor house had been located in Poughkeepsie until 1863, but during the Civil War there was an argument about who should take care of the poor. The argument was settled by moving it to a more central location, so in May of that year, 74 acres were purchased by the Dutchess County Board of Supervisors and a building was erected, opening in the spring of 1864.   

The building, the Dutchess County Poor House, was built of brick, consisted of two stories, and by October of 1864 it had its first occupants.

Poor houses were built so that the homeless could trade their labor for shelter. There were rules, one of which forbade children between 2 and 16 from living there; those children were put in separate institutions. While this ripped children from their parents, it was hoped that their circumstances would be better than their parents.

In no time at all, it was found that the Washington building, which had cost $45,000 to build, was deteriorating. There were narrow stairways, a lack of proper ventilation and no fire escapes, adding to the misery of the inmates. And there was no place to put those who became ill. People who died there were generally buried on site, at Brier Hill Cemetery at Oak Summit, about one-quarter of a mile from the building.

When poor houses declined in popularity during the 1930s and ‘40s, a new building was constructed in the town of Washington, in 1938. It was then added to in 1961, when it became the Millbrook Infirmary, or County Home. It later became a mental health facility. 

Since that time, the cemetery was largely neglected and forgotten — until 2003. Vassar College students enrolled in a digital underground class led by Professor Brian G. McAdoo before discovered evidence that more than 800 graves were in Brier Hill Cemetery. Using old documents and long-forgotten records, the students found 246 names, along with some other information, but they could actually put names to only about 50 graves. The last burial was in 1955, a William Patterson, 65, a resident of the poor house.

In 2014, students from Vassar College and Ithaca College tried to clean up the cemetery, but had little success. Fast forward to 2019, before the pandemic, when then-Dutchess County Commissioner of Public Works Robert Balkind got involved, along with several other people including Dutchess County Legislator (R-25) Deirdre Houston. 

County landscaping crews worked diligently and finally the land was cleared enough to allow for the identification of some graves; most were marked by cylindrical numbered stone markers. Archaeologists and historians went to work, not only to identify the graves, but to be able to relate some of the background and history of those buried there.

A kiosk was built by Millbrook Eagle Scout Daniel Goldschmidt, which posts a site map. There are also stories of some of those buried at the cemetery for visitors to read at the kiosk.

Today the area is cleared. There are markers placed throughout the cemetery, including at the graves of children and two red markers above the 100-foot line. Some graves have recurring numbers. The coding is not quite clear yet, but as more research is done, more stories will be added to the interactive online map and the fascinating history of Brier Hill Cemetery at Oak Summit will continue to unfold.

Latest News

Stanford home prices remain at record highs in early new year

The home at 49 Ernest Road was one of only two single family homes sold for less than $300,000 in Stanford in the last year.

Photo by Christine Bates

STANFORD — The town’s median price for a single-family home remained at an all-time high at the end of January as the real estate market continues an upward march.

The 12-month trailing median price for a single-family home, excluding condos, in the Town of Stanford reached$662,500 for the period ending Jan. 31, 2026, the same as December.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amenia’s final open mic night set for April 1 at Town Hall

Judy Westfall performs a selection of songs made popular by John Denver on on Wednesday, Nov. 19, at Amenia Town Hall during the inaugural open mic night.

Photo by Leila Hawken

AMENIA — For those seeking exposure and an enthusiastic audience for their talents, the final Town Hall Open Mic Night is coming up on Wednesday, April 1, beginning at 6 p.m. This year’s successful series has been a program of the Recreation Department.

To participate, sign up upon arrival to share your talent with a live audience. Bring friends along to enjoy your own performance and applaud the talents of others. All types are welcome, whether music, song, poetry, storytelling or any other.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dutchess County Sheriff's Report — Thursday, March 19
Dutchess County Sheriff's sub-station on Route 22 south of Amenia, New York.
Archive photo

Dutchess County Sheriff’s Office Harlem Valley area activity report March 5 to March 12

March 7 — Deputies responded to 160 Holsapple Road in Dover to investigate a reported disturbance. Incident determined to be a domestic dispute. Matter resolved without further police intervention.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Lakeville Journal earns top honors at New England newspaper awards

Left to right, Christian Murray, Executive Editor; Nathan Miller, Managing Editor of The Millerton News; Natalia Zukerman, Arts & Lifestyle Editor; Thomas K. Carley, Chief Operating Officer; and James H. Clark, CEO/Publisher receive awards at the New England Newspaper and Press Association spring conference in Portsmouth, NH.

Melissa Ferrick

The Lakeville Journal earned several top honors at the New England Newspaper and Press Association’s annual spring conference on March 16 for its work in journalism, community engagement and audience outreach.

Among the awards, the organization received first place in the Community and Audience Engagement category for its high school journalism program. The program, launched in April 2025 with funding support from the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation, 21st Century Fund and individual donors, teaches professional journalism to students at Housatonic Valley Regional High School and launched the student newspaper HVRHS Today.

Keep ReadingShow less

Legal Notices - March 19, 2026

Legal Notices - March 19, 2026

Legal Notice

Notice of Formation of Your Mom’s Bush Native & Medicinal Plant Nursery LLC. Arts. Of Org. file with SSNY on 1/20/2026. Office location: Dutchess County. SSNY designated as agent of LLC upon whom process may be served. SSNY shall mail process to 3657 U.S. 44, Millbrook, NY, 12545. Purpose: any lawful act or activity.

Keep ReadingShow less

Classifieds - March 19, 2026

Classifieds - March 19, 2026

Help Wanted

Gardeners needed for native plant design business: March 15- December 1st. Must be physically fit and dependable. Call for interview 347-496-5168. Resume and references needed.

Want to join our team?: Wyantenuck Country Club is seeking Bartenders, Dishwashers, Line/Prep Cooks and Waitstaff. Positions start the last week of April/beginning of May. We offer a competitive pay with flexible shifts on weekdays and/or weekend daytime or evening shifts. Please send resumes to: brandon@wyantenuck.org, call 413-528-0350 or stop by in person.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.