Libraries face federal funding reductions

KENT, Conn. — The effects of federal cutbacks are beginning to trickle down to the local level. Last week, area librarians were alarmed to learn that programs important to rural populations, such as the interlibrary loan service provided through Connecticut State Library, were abruptly defunded effective April 1.

The Connecticut State Library was notified by the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services, which oversees grants to states, that its 2024-25 federal grant award was terminated. The grant was scheduled to cover the current federal fiscal year ending Sept. 30.

The entire IMLS staff, a relatively small federal agency with around 70 employees, was placed on administrative leave for up to 90 days after a brief meeting between DOGE staff and IMLS leadership.

Connecticut was among the first three states to receive notification of termination, and State Attorney General William Tong joined a lawsuit with 20 other states opposing the elimination of IMLS. The State Library is also working with the Governor’s office, the Office of Policy Management and other state agencies regarding this situation.

Kent Library Director Sarah Marshall, who joined six other Northwest Corner librarians in decrying the federal action, said it is not clear what the full impact will mean, but said it does not mean that local libraries will close their doors. “These are not funds we use to stay open,” she said. “They provide services to our patrons.”

The State Library had $2.2 million to underwrite services such as a van to deliver interlibrary loan books for free. “We process about 24 books through interlibrary loan three times each week,” Marshall said. “Without the van, it costs $4 to $6 a book to mail them. That could amount to $1,800 a year and there is no way to replace that on an individual basis.”

Another service affected would be the e-rate program, which provides funds for schools and libraries to improve their broadband access, saving 76 Connecticut libraries $497,221 in fiscal year 2024.

Marshall said the library’s internet service is fiber optic and expensive. The loss of the federal funding could increase annual expenses by $6,000. “A lot of people use our Internet,” she said, and they are not just families who don’t have home access, but also visitors and hikers passing through town who want to check their email.

“Those are the things Kent will feel most, but there are other things as well,” Marshall said, including funding for summer reading and enrichment programs, professional development for librarians, circulation of audio and braille books to more than 5,000 patrons, including 316 veterans, and the statewide eBook platform which provides to a collection of 50,000 books, periodicals and databases.

“Right now, there are more questions than answers,” said Marshall, who noted that some of the programs were authorized through state statutes. “We don’t know if the state will step in to provide funding or not,” she said.

State Attorney General William Tong was quick to join a coalition of 20 other states in challenging the federal action. “We had to sue to stop Trump from defunding our schools and cancer cures, from defunding energy assistance and vaccines, from defunding disaster relief and the police. Now, we have to sue again to stop him from defunding summer reading programs and audiobooks for disabled veterans,” said Tong in a statement.

Beyond the scope of state funding for services, Marshall said there could be impact from tariffs if they are ultimately imposed. On April 2, Trump signed an executive order imposing a minimum 10 percent tariff on all U.S. imports effective April 5. Higher tariffs on imports from 57 countries, ranging from 11 to 50%, were scheduled to take effect on April 9 but were almost immediately suspended for 90 days for all countries except China.

The library is planning a $6.8 million expansion this year and a lot of the equipment needed would come from Asia. “We are estimating it could cost 15 to 20% more,” she said, “and we don’t have 15 to 20% more. That’s another sticky wicket.”

Still, she said there have yet to be any changes to the plans approved last year for the expansion. “It’s business as usual,” she concluded. “We don’t want to react so strongly to something that hasn’t happened yet. We can’t throw away what we have been doing when we don’t know what the outcome will be.”


Kathryn Boughton is the editor of Kent Dispatch.

Latest News

Trade Secrets: a glamorous garden event with a deeper mission

Heavy stone garden ornaments, a specialty of Judy Milne Antiques from Kingston, at Trade Secrets 2025.

Christine Bates

Tucked away on Porter Street in downtown Lakeville, Project SAGE is an unassuming building from a street view. But cross the threshold a week before Trade Secrets — one of the region’s biggest gardening events, long associated with Martha Stewart and glamorous plants of all varieties — and you’ll find a bustling world of employees and volunteers getting ready for the organization’s most important event of the year.

“It’s not usually like this,’ laughed Project SAGE director Kristen van Ginhoven. “But with Trade Secrets just around the corner, it’s definitely like this.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Two artists, two Hartford stages, one shared life

Caroline Kinsolving and Gary Capozzielo at home in Salisbury with their dogs, Petruchio and Beatrice

Provided
"He played his violin, I worked on my lines, we walked the dog, and suddenly we were circling each other perfectly."
Caroline Kinsolving

Actor Caroline Kinsolving and violinist Gary Capozziello enjoy their quiet life with their two dogs in Salisbury, yet are often pulled apart to perform on distant stages in far-flung cities. Currently, the planets have aligned, and both are working in Hartford, across Bushnell Park from one another. Bridgewater native Kinsolving is starring in “Circus Fire,” the current production of TheaterWorks Hartford, while Capozziello is a violinist and assistant concertmaster of the Hartford Symphony Orchestra. While Kinsolving hates being away from home, she feels the distance nourishes their relationship.

“We are guardians of each other’s confidence and self-esteem,” she said.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

Summer exhibition opens at Wassaic Project

Nate King, “When I Was Younger And Now That I’m Older,” 2026, Digital projection, digital animation, photography.

photo courtesy Nate King

The Wassaic Project, the 8,000-square-foot, seven-story former grain elevator transformed into a vibrant arts space, opens its 2026 Summer Exhibition, “Because, now is the time of monsters,” on Saturday, May 16, from 3-6 p.m. at Maxon Mills, launching a season-long presentation featuring 39 artists working across installation, performance, video and sculpture.

The opening celebration will include an afternoon of exhibitions and live programming throughout the historic mill building and its surrounding spaces. Gallery and Art Nest hours run from 12-6 p.m., with special presentations scheduled throughout the day.

Keep ReadingShow less
Hotchkiss to host inaugural International Piano Competition
Murong Yang ’08, a founding supporter of the Hotchkiss International Music Competition, helped establish the program through the Yang and Hamabata families to support young musicians and artistic excellence.
Provided

The Hotchkiss School will launch a major new addition to its arts programming with the inaugural Hotchkiss International Piano Competition, a three-day event taking place May 15–17 in Katherine M. Elfers Hall.

The competition will bring together young pianists ages 10 to 18 from around the world, with participants representing the United States, Thailand, Korea, China, Canada, and Azerbaijan. Performers will compete across multiple age divisions, culminating in final rounds that will be open to the public, offering audiences the opportunity to hear a wide range of emerging international talent in performance.

Keep ReadingShow less
Open Studios by Upstate Art Weekend invites visitors inside 240 workspaces

“Untitled” by Christine Domanic, one of the 37 artists featured in “Earthen Plot,” opening Friday, May 15.

Provided

Art lovers will have an opportunity to step inside working artist’s studios across the region next weekend as Open Studios by Upstate Art Weekend returns Saturday, May 16, and Sunday, May 17, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The annual event invites the public into the creative spaces of 240 artists throughout the Hudson Valley and Catskills, offering an intimate look at artistic practices across disciplines while fostering direct connections between artists and visitors.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.