Latest News
Pine Plains Central School District budget fails in vote
Graham Corrigan
May 22, 2026
Stissing Mountain High School in Pine Plains.
Photo by Graham Corrigan
PINE PLAINS — Voters in Pine Plains rejected the school district’s proposed budget Tuesday, May 19.
While the measure achieved a majority — the final count was 458-432 in favor — it failed to reach the 60% supermajority necessary after the district’s budget pierced the state tax cap.
The school district is now left with three options: put the same budget up and hope for better results, revise the budget, or adopt a contingency budget with deeper cuts. Another round of voting will take place on June 16. State election laws mandate that a public hearing on any new budget needs to happen the week of June 2-9.
The proposed budget represented a year-over-year expense increase of 5.34%, and a tax increase of 4.43%. Budgeted expenses totalled $40,778,791.
New York State limits school districts to a maximum tax levy increase of 2%. Proposed levies that exceed that rate require a 60% supermajority approval at the ballot box.
Budget cuts of $491,000 were already included in the proposed budget. Chief among the eliminations are two 5 p.m. bus routes, new equipment purchases, and elementary school enrichment programs.
If the board of education makes additional reductions to fall within the tax cap, a simple majority of 50% is needed to pass the budget.
For that to happen, the board needs to eliminate $290,569 in expenses, District Superintendent Dr. Brian Timm said.
A contingency budget is the harshest scenario. If the proposed budget fails again on June 16, the district will be forced to reduce the budget by another $945,789, for a total difference of over $1.2 million from the budget that failed to pass Tuesday.
“Certainly some things will be unpopular,” Timm said at a special session after the vote. “Where we are allowed to make our recommendations is in getting it to the tax cap, but the contingency budget is up to the board.”
Timm suggested having a revised budget ready for board discussion by May 26, and a public hearing June 9. Both meetings will be open to the public.
In other ballot news, incumbent James Griffin and Amie Buehler were elected to the two open school board seats. Voters also approved a measure to buy five new school buses, using funds from a previously-approved bus reserve.
Keep ReadingShow less
Voters approve Millbrook CSD budget in 391-221 vote
Graham Corrigan
May 22, 2026
Administrators balanced Millbrook Central School District’s budget with staffing and program cuts after insufficient revenue and ballooning health insurance costs caused a deficit of about $1 million.
Photo By Graham Corrigan
MILLBROOK — Millbrook Central School District had its proposed budget ratified Tuesday, May 19.
Residents voted 391-221 in favor of the $37,992,751 plan. It’s a year-over-year increase of 6.57%, and the tax levy will rise at a rate of 7.02%.
Millbrook’s budget does not exceed the allowed state tax rate — meaning the budget needed a simple majority to pass. While some program and staffing cuts are included, the district was able to avoid a contingency budget and the additional $1.5 million in cuts it would have necessitated.
The district is faced with rising insurance and transportation costs, and is still waiting on state aid from the to-be-determined New York budget. Governor Kathy Hochul announced a broad agreement on key priorities earlier this month, but state legislators filed for their twelfth budget extension last week.
The next year at Millbrook will include a number of capital projects aimed at repairing the school’s aging buildings. Leaks and roof damage have been a persistent problem at the school’s buildings, and a capital project fund transfer is set to address the damage.
Further down the ballot, Howard Shapiro and Chris Rosenbergen were both reelected to their Board of Education seats.
Keep ReadingShow less
Millbrook Winery plans upgrades, ends bring-your-own seating policy
Graham Corrigan
May 20, 2026
Millbrook Vineyards & Winery’s winemaker Ian Bearup surveys ongoing landscaping work from the wedding loft on Monday, May 18.
Photo By Graham Corrigan
MILLBROOK — The owners of Millbrook Vineyards & Winery are changing how visitors may use their property, ending a longtime policy that allowed guests to bring their own food, beverages and lawn chairs onto the vineyard grounds.
The changes come as the winery introduces new seating areas, expanded food offerings and updated visitor accommodations ahead of the summer season.
To support the shift away from open lawn-style seating, the winery is installing several designated seating areas across the property. A newly created adults-only patio will feature Adirondack chairs, private tables and sofa seating available for a small table fee that has not yet been finalized. Guests will also be able to reserve tables in advance, though walk-ins will still be welcome.
Additional picnic tables are also being added to the winery’s existing all-ages seating area.
Weekend food trucks are scheduled to return beginning June 1, but they will now be supplemented by expanded local food offerings inside the winery’s renovated tap room space, now renamed The Overlook. Local producers, including Millbrook Beef & Dairy and Chaseholm Farm, will offer cheese, charcuterie and prepared foods.
“We want to reinvigorate the brand,” said Ian Bearup, a winemaker at the vineyards.
The changes come during a period of broader transition for the wine industry, which has seen declining consumption levels following a pandemic-era surge, according to the International Organisation of Vine and Wine. Owner John Dyson recently reduced his stake in a California winery to refocus on Millbrook.
Millbrook’s winemaker Bearup said the renewed focus on Millbrook Vineyards & Winery exemplifies Dyson’s commitment to his hometown. “We take a lot of pride in still keeping agriculture in Dutchess County,” Bearup said. “This pullback has forced us to ask, how can we change things? And how can we still stay authentic to who we are, which is really just a family farm winery.”
Bearup acknowledged some visitors may be unhappy with the changes, but said growing crowds have made it increasingly difficult to manage the property during busy weekends.
“It’s gotten difficult for us to oversee the grounds during busy weekends,” Bearup said. “There’s a lot of liability. There’s a lot of garbage, and the grounds get quite beat up.”
The winery said visitors will still have access to the property’s ponds, trails and vineyard views, but the new seating arrangements are intended to better organize crowds and reduce wear on the grounds.
“We’re already hearing from a lot of upset people, which I completely understand,” Bearup said. “But we can’t operate this business as a park anymore, unfortunately.”
Keep ReadingShow less

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.
Washington officials eye improvements to town pool
Graham Corrigan
May 20, 2026
The Washington town pool in the hamlet of Mabbetsville along Route 44 sits ready for the start of the 2026 season.
Photo By Graham Corrigan
MILLBROOK — Members of the Washington Town Board are calling for upgrades to the town’s recreation area in Mabbetsville along Route 44, saying the park’s roughly 80-year-old pool is outdated and increasingly difficult to maintain.
Former Washington Councilmember Mike Murphy presented a new report to the Town Board during its regular meeting on Wednesday, May 13, detailing the needed updates to the park.
His report is part of a larger Washington project called the Recreation Area Strategic Planning Committee. Starting in 2024, Murphy and a committee of 11 community members undertook a comprehensive evaluation of the property, focusing on the town pool and its facilities. “It’s nobody’s fault,” Murphy said. “But over the years, it’s just aged out.”
The committee was made up of various community experts including contractors and environmentalists. The group used last year’s Community Day to field suggestions from local residents, asking what changes they’d like to see at the park.
An online survey followed, and the committee compiled those suggestions for the town board. Suggestions included indoor facilities, a children’s playground, a dog park and pool improvements.
The Town Park consists of the pool and several athletic fields. The town bought the lower part of the property in 1946 for $16,000, and it became a municipal pool soon after. The athletic fields were added in 2006.
The 29 acres “are a jewel within the town,” Murphy said. “We need to figure out how to get people to use it.” But the pool’s aging infrastructure has made maintenance and upkeep unwieldy. It also lacks modern amenities popular in other municipal pools, like splash pads or fountains. Millerton and Newburgh, Murphy noted, both included those elements in their new pool plans.
Washington has more serious fixes to make, like updating the pool’s filtration system. One estimate Murphy received approximated that cost at six figures. “The tax structure of this community will never be able to handle the major costs that are coming down the road,” Murphy said.
Instead, the Committee to Re-Imagine the Town Park proposed several non-structural ways to stimulate the park’s activity, and resulting revenue: extended hours, a third pavilion, more athletic facilities, and an easier way to access the park.
Currently, there’s only one way in or out of the park. It makes for a crowded drop-off — especially when summer camp is in session. Murphy said connecting the park’s entrance to Little Rest Road to the west is one feasible solution.
Keep ReadingShow less
Man flown to Westchester hospital after lawn mower injury
Nathan Miller
May 20, 2026
A Life Flight medical helicopter carried a man to Westchester Medical Center after he sustained injuries to his foot caused by lawn mower blades.
Archive photo
MILLERTON — A man was flown by helicopter to a regional hospital Friday after a lawn mower caused injuries to his foot.
New York State Police troopers arrived at 43 Scenic View Drive in the Scenic View trailer park at 3:15 p.m. on Friday, May 15, after a 52-year-old man had gotten his foot stuck in the blades of his lawn mower.
A police spokesperson said the man sustained serious injuries. A helicopter operated by private ambulance company Life Flight landed in Eddie Collins Memorial Park to transport the man.
He was taken to Westchester Medical Center for treatment. The man’s identity and current conditions are unknown as of press time.
Keep ReadingShow less
Local volunteers
Leila Hawken
May 20, 2026
Enhancing educational opportunities for students in the Millbrook Central School District since 2001, the Millbrook Educational Foundation took part in the Millbrook Volunteer Fair on Saturday, May 16. Residents were invited to learn about volunteer opportunities with the foundation and a variety of other local and regional organizations. The event, now in its fifth year, was held at the Millbrook Library.

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.
loading















