Thank you!
Your support is sustaining the future of local news in our communities.

Lights, camera, action!: Four Brothers Drive-In Theater reopens with COVID-19 guidelines

Lights, camera, action!: Four Brothers Drive-In Theater reopens with COVID-19 guidelines
Members of the Stefanopoulos family provided NBC News with an interview about the reopening of their drive-in theater on Friday, May 15, prior to the screening of the first film at 8:10 p.m. Photo submitted

AMENIA — “Let’s get normal!” proclaimed the marquee sign placed at the entrance to the Four Brothers Drive-In Theater. After submitting a waiver to be declared an essential business and open their drive-in theater for the 2020 season following the state’s closure of non-essential businesses during the coronavirus pandemic, the Stefanopoulos family was thrilled to reopen on Friday, May 15.

Located at 4957 Route 22 in Amenia, the drive-in theater adjacent to Four Brothers Pizza Inn was initially deemed a non-essential business under the New York state guidelines during the pandemic. In response, John Stefanopoulos, one of its owners, submitted a waiver to Empire State Development on Monday, March 23, to request the drive-in be deemed essential. 

Envisioning a contact-less theater capable of offering entertainment to the community while taking the necessary precautions for preventing the spread of COVID-19, Stefanopoulos explained that the entire theater system could be fully automated and precautions could be implemented to make sure everyone keeps their distance while enjoying the theater. 

By Monday, May 10, the Stefanopoulos family received a reply from the state; they were overjoyed to learn their waiver had been approved. Drive-ins throughout the state are now operating, and gaining in popularity.

Stefanopoulos said, “I think we’re just very lucky to be in a position where we can help to bring people together safely and responsibly. I think this is a great place to bring sanity back and I think it’s great we can do that.

“We’ve been running around the clock getting everything together and we’re very excited to have the public back.”

To ensure everyone stays healthy during their visit to the theater, Stefanopoulos said the drive-in has enacted a few simple rules and regulations. Whether they’re exiting their vehicles or waiting to purchase food or use the restroom, patrons must keep a distance of 6 feet and wear a mask at all times. During the movie, patrons must remain inside their vehicle at all times. No social gatherings are permitted, and no lawn chairs are allowed at this time, though that may change at a later date. Tailgating with the vehicle hatch open is only permitted when patrons are wearing masks, and sitting outside of the vehicle is only permitted when patrons are sitting on the bed of their pick-up trucks and wearing masks, though this rule is also subject to change depending on conditions.

Along with strictly enforcing these rules and limiting vehicle capacity to 50%, the drive-in will be offering car hop service during movies and will also notify patrons to come and pick up their orders when they’re ready. Restrooms will be sanitized routinely and all staff will be required to wear masks and gloves. 

All tickets must be purchased online at www.playeatdrink.com. Patrons should then present their tickets to box office personnel. According to its website, the theater can’t guarantee entrance to patrons without pre-purchased tickets or a spot for non-reserved guests given the limited capacity. Patrons can purchase their food either online via www.playeatdrink.com, using the theater’s new outdoor kiosk at the phone booth, ordering at the Snack Shack or by calling their order in to 845-373-8178.

Stefanopolous said they’ve been training staff on the new rules and “getting prepared internally.” When asked whether these new regulations have impacted the number of people employed at the drive-in theater, he explained that even though the theater will be contact-less, it will still have employees working to keep everything sanitized and to help direct parking.

The gates to the drive-in theater officially opened at 5:15 p.m. on Friday evening and the first movie began at 8:10 p.m. Though there were reports of incoming thunderstorms for that evening, the drive-in pressed on with its plans, with movie-goers savoring the taste of early summer weather as a promising sign of good things to come. With “Trolls World Tour” and “Birds of Prey” selected as the theater’s first two films of the season, the drive-in attracted plenty of families for its grand reopening. 

All while adhering to its new rules for keeping staff and customers safe, drive-in employees whipped up hot popcorn, cold milkshakes and many other drive-in delights that evening within the Snack Shack and offered service with a smile.

In addition to the families that flocked to the drive-in for a long-anticipated night out on the town, Four Brothers’ reopening caught the attention of NBC News and News Channel 12. Along with visiting the drive-in on Wednesday, May 13, Harry Smith, a long-time journalist from NBC News, and his producer, Caroline Gottlieb, visited the drive-in on Friday evening to interview members of the Stefanopoulos family before the first movie.

“Harry Smith and I were happy to highlight this positive story of a business carefully and creatively opening up and giving folks a fun night out,” Gottlieb said on a later date. “The guests and families there seemed to really enjoy the taste of normalcy — even if they had to don masks while enjoying the movie.”

For more information on the drive-in, go to www.playeatdrink.com.

Latest News

North East finalizing plans for new Town Hall

The former Jehovah’s Witness hall at 5603 Route 22 south of the Village of Millerton awaits interior renovations to retrofit the building for use as North East’s new Town Hall.

Photo by Graham Corrigan

MILLERTON — Plans to renovate the former Jehovah’s Witness hall on Route 22 to serve as North East’s Town Hall will move forward, with construction expected to begin this winter, Town Supervisor Chris Kennan said.

North East Town Board members are expected to move ahead with existing plans for a new Town Hall building, scrapping an earlier idea to remove a courtroom from the floorplan.

Keep ReadingShow less
Millbrook Fire Department calls for budget increase

MILLBROOK — Representatives from the Millbrook Fire Department appealed for aid at the Washington Town Board meeting last week.

The department is underfunded, fire district officials said. Old equipment, aging infrastructure, and a glut of new members have stretched the department to its breaking point. “Usually we’re the ones doing the helping,” said Fire Captain Kelly Tomasulo, “but today we’re asking you for help.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Capturing nature in writing at Great Mountain Forest’s inaugural writing retreat

The retreat featured frequent walks through the woods around Yale Camp to take inspiration from nature.

Photo by Jacquelyn Drain

FALLS VILLAGE, Conn. — I know nothing about nature aside from my reverence for its beauty. I took one environmental science class nearly four years ago but that is the extent of my knowledge. Despite this I had the pleasure of being surrounded by not only nature enthusiasts but also experts at the inaugural Yale Camp Writers Retreat held at Great Mountain Forest.

The background of the retreat was an essential, calming character. The rustic and historic Yale Camp, founded in 1940, is nestled amongst 6,500 acres of woods on Canaan Mountain. With 15 hiking trails, the forest is home to beautiful scenery and creatures.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

North East apartment conversion moves to public hearing

Lilly Simons and Lauren Simons are proposing to turn the building at 185 Route 44 into an eight-unit apartment building. The structure once served as a restaurant and then as office space but has been vacant for several years, Lauren Simons said.

Photo by Nathan Miller

MILLERTON — The Greyhouse Apartment conversion occurring on 181-185 Route 44 made progress this week toward bringing the first housing to the Town of North East’s boulevard district following the area’s rezoning in April.

The North East Planning Board continued discussions on site plans for the apartments at their meeting on Aug. 12. The project, proposed by local petroleum distributor GRJH Inc., seeks to convert a former office building into eight apartments. Plans call for five one-bedroom apartments, two two-bedroom units and one studio.

Keep ReadingShow less
Grocery plans delayed, timber harvest planned in Pine Plains

PINE PLAINS — The Pine Plains Planning Board met last week to discuss the new grocery store at 7723 S. Main St., hear a request for timber harvest at 3228 Route 199, and review site plans to settle an easement dispute at 2775 Church St.

Only one of the three went as planned — the South Main street owners postponed their appearance, and site plans for the easement on Church Street were not submitted in time.

Keep ReadingShow less

Jeff Rosati

Jeff Rosati

WEST CORNWALL — Jeff Rosati, 72, of West Cornwall, Connecticut, passed away peacefully on August 11, 2026.
Born in New Milford on January 18, 1954, Jeff was the devoted son of the late Kathren Valtrum.

After graduating from New Milford High School, he began his career with Eversource as a meter reader, dedicatedly serving the company for 42 years before retiring in 2014 as Chief Garage Mechanic.

Keep ReadingShow less
google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.

google preferred source

Want more of our stories on Google? Click here to make us a Preferred Source.