High risk winter sport athletes can begin practice Jan. 4, 2021

NEW YORK STATE — Between the pounding of the basketball against the gym floor, the tension of grappling their opponent on the wrestling mat and the sensation of skates gliding on the ice, there’s much for student athletes to look forward to when it comes to the winter season. Seeking to minimize risk and exposure to COVID-19 this winter, the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) announced that high school athletes can’t start practicing high risk winter sports until Monday, Jan. 4, 2021.

Pine Plains Central School District Athletic Director Rob Scott explained the situation. Basically, he said, the state said schools can start practicing on Jan. 4. Section IX said they can start practicing on Jan. 4 also, but right now there is no competition allowed for those sports, so the schools can practice — but not compete. Section IX did not compete in fall sports this year, they actually pushed the date of the fall season back. There are guidelines schools must follow for high-risk sports. Students may begin practicing high risk winter sports, according to Scott, but unless the governor or the New York State Department of Health weighs in, schools have been banned from competing.

NYSPHSAA issued a press release on Nov. 17; it gave examples of high risk winter sports, including basketball, wrestling, competitive cheer and ice hockey. In the Harlem Valley, Webutuck High School in Amenia, Stissing Mountain Junior/Senior High School in Pine Plains and Millbrook High School are member schools.

Meanwhile, as previously determined by the association, low and moderate risk winter sports — including indoor track and field, swimming and diving, skiing and gymnastics — were allowed to begin on Monday, Nov. 30, for schools and sections that have determined it “feasible to host interscholastic athletics at that time.” Locally, Harlem Valley students only participate in indoor track and field in this category. NYSPHSAA noted all winter State Championship events remain scheduled as of this time.

Recognizing “the numerous challenges interscholastic programs” face resuming high risk sports during the pandemic, NYSPHSAA President Julie Bergman said its goal is to keep students safe while they can keep playing sports.

With updated guidance on how to proceed with the 2020-21 winter sports season, Harlem Valley school districts have been discussing their options. 

At the Webutuck Board of Education (BOE) meeting on Monday, Nov. 16, Superintendent of Schools Raymond Castellani informed the board that they were given permission for low and moderate risk contact sports to start on Nov. 30. He told the BOE at the time the district had opened its gymnasium for a number of sports; it’s enforcing social distancing with the athletic director supervising to ensure students and coaches wear masks and stay 6 feet apart.

“We’re trying to get as close to normal as possible,” Castellani said.

Pine Plains Superintendent of Schools Martin Handler discussed low risk winter sports at the BOE meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 18. He explained that the district’s only low risk sport is winter track. 

Meanwhile, in a letter posted on the Millbrook Central School District website, www.millbrookcsd.org, on Tuesday, Nov. 24, Superintendent of Schools Laura Mitchell reported that, due to “barriers” to participation, its administration and BOE determined the district won’t participate in winter indoor track this school year. Such barriers include concerns about the potential for COVID-19 to spread among athletes in the district and in opponent schools; the recommendation that winter indoor track be held outside and the complications that presents; and incomplete guidance. 

Also in her letter, Mitchell reported that the district hasn’t yet determined whether it will participate in high risk sports, such as basketball and cheerleading.

Stepping boldly onto the court, the Pine Plains varsity boys basketball team faced off against Webutuck in the Webutuck High School gymnasium at a game held this past January. Archive photo by Kaitlin Lyle

Members of the 2019-20 Pine Plains varsity volleyball team celebrated another vigorous sports season in the Stissing Mountain High School gymnasium. Photo submitted

Stepping boldly onto the court, the Pine Plains varsity boys basketball team faced off against Webutuck in the Webutuck High School gymnasium at a game held this past January. Archive photo by Kaitlin Lyle

Latest News

Millerton’s 175th committee advances plans for celebration, seeks vendors and sponsors

The Millerton 175th anniversary committee's tent during the village's trunk-or-treat event on Oct. 31, 2025.

Photo provided

MILLERTON — As Millerton officially enters its 175th year, the volunteer committee tasked with planning its milestone celebration is advancing plans and firming up its week-long schedule of events, which will include a large community fair at Eddie Collins Memorial Park and a drone light show. The events will take place this July 11 through 19.

Millerton’s 175th committee chair Lisa Hermann said she is excited for this next phase of planning.

Keep ReadingShow less
Why the focus on Greenland?

As I noted here in an article last spring entitled “Hands off Greenland”, the world’s largest island was at the center of a developing controversy. President Trump was telling all who would listen that, for national security reasons, the United States needed to take over Greenland, amicably if possible or by force if necessary. While many were shocked by Trump’s imperialistic statements, most people, at least in this country, took his words as ill-considered bluster. But he kept telling questioners that he had to have Greenland (oftenechoing the former King of France, Louis XIV who famously said, “L’État c’est moi!”.

Since 1951, the U.S. has had a security agreement with Denmark giving it near total freedom to install and operate whatever military facilities it wanted on Greenland. At one point there were sixteen small bases across the island, now there’s only one. Denmark’s Prime Minister has told President Trump that the U.S. should feel free to expand its installations if needed. As climate change is starting to allow a future passage from thePacific Ocean to the Arctic, many countries are showing interest in Greenland including Russia and China but this hardly indicates an international crisis as Trump and his subordinates insist.

Keep ReadingShow less
Military hardware as a signpost

It is hard not to equate military spending and purchasing with diplomatic or strategic plans being made, for reasons otherwise unknown. Keeping an eye out for the physical stuff can often begin to shine a light on what’s coming – good and possibly very bad.

Without Congressional specific approval, the Pentagon has awarded a contract to Boeing for $8,600,000,000 (US taxpayer dollars) for another 25 F-15A attack fighters to be given to Israel. Oh, and there’s another 25 more of the F-15EX variant on option, free to Israel as well.

Keep ReadingShow less
Truth and evidence depend on the right to observe

A small group of protesters voice opposition to President Trump's administration and Immigration and Customs Enforcement at Amenia's Fountain Square at the intersection of Route 44 and Route 22 on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2025

Photo by Nathan Miller

The fatal shooting of Alex Pretti, and before him Renée Good, by federal agents in Minnesota is not just a tragedy; it is a warning. In the aftermath, Trump administration officials released an account of events that directly contradicted citizen video recorded at the scene. Those recordings, made by ordinary people exercising their rights, showed circumstances sharply at odds with the official narrative. Once again, the public is asked to choose between the administration’s version of events and the evidence of its own eyes.

This moment underscores an essential truth: the right to record law enforcement is not a nuisance or a provocation; it is a safeguard. As New York Times columnist David French put it, “Citizen video has decisively rebutted the administration’s lies. The evidence of our eyes contradicts the dishonesty of the administration’s words.”

Keep ReadingShow less